Sorry, there will be no new post this weekend. I am taking some time to follow my newly educated muse.
However, on that note, I have re-edited the first chapter of my book.
Specific things I tried to fix include:
- using unnecessary or overused words such as that, which, had, so, get/got, very, because, suddenly, basically, essentially, and actually
- starting sentences with present participles (-ing words)
- narrating outside my POV character’s knowledge and/or way of thinking
- describing setting not pertinent to the plot, POV character, or desired mood
- writing dialog that doesn’t flow smoothly or that sounds unnatural for a given character
I also tried to add suspense and raise interesting questions with deferred (yet-to-be-revealed) answers.
Feel free to read it and share any thoughts, questions, or critiques.